Sunday, November 30, 2008
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Thanksgiving in LA...
When I was in college (in Portland), I spent my first Thanksgiving away from my family and had dinner with the family of one of my professors, David Needham.
It was a rainy night - it was Portland... what did I expect? My Thanksgiving were usually warm in SoCal.
And so it is today - 68 and nice. We are here in West LA in The Orlando, just a couple of blocks from the Beverly Center. This year will be the first time in over 20 years that my side of the family will be all together: Mom, Dad & Nana from Oxnard, Alison from Texas, Dawn, Maria, Mercer & Hudson from LA.
On tap: easy some tasty food today. Take a walk. Have some pie.
Tomorrow: Shopping at the Beverly Center as well as a walk to Mood (which is just around the corner from my sister's). If you watch Project Runway, you know Mood. This season's Project Runway is being filmed in LA and the Mood they use is the Mood on the corner of La Cienega and Pico. So this is a pilgrimage of sorts for us.
So Happy Thanksgiving one and all. Enjoy your pie!
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Thinking Outside the Box...
A man in Phoenix calls his son in New York two days before Thanksgiving and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough".
"Pop, what are you talking about?" the son screams.
We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the father says. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her."
Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this,"
She calls Phoenix immediately, and screams at her father, "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.
The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay," he says, "they're coming for Thanksgiving and paying their own way."
HT: What if...
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Quotes of the Day...
These came across Twitter today from Catalyst One Day at Granger Community Church.
- "A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” John Maxwell
- "If you have momentum and you don’t know why, you are one stupid decision away from killing it." Andy Stanley
- "Complexity works against momentum. Complexity works against momentum. Complexity works against momentum. Complexity works against momentum. The process of tearing down complexity is painful, but must be done." Andy Stanley
- "Are you about your mission? Or... are you about guarding people’s feelings?" Craig Groeschel
- "Great leaders see OPPORTUNITIES where others see LIMITATIONS." Craig Groeschel
- Typical way of thinking: "We have to DO MORE to reach more." New mindset: "We can REACH MORE by doing LESS." Craig Groeschel
- "A leadership engine must be simple and doable. Can you write it on a napkin?" Dave Fergusen
- "If you don't take time off, it's because you are full of pride and you are a poor leader." Craig Groeschel
- "You can have high control and low growth or lower control and high growth. But you can't have both." Craig Groschel
Three assignments from Craig Groeschel...
- Find someone one or two steps ahead of you and learn how they think.
- Identify one wrong mindset and ask God to renew your mind with truth.
- Identify one painful decision that you’ve been avoiding and commit to making the decision no matter what the short-term pain.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Things that make you go hmmm...
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
I love Twitter. I love that I can keep in touch - albeit at arms length - with my friends all over the world (shout out to Cairo, Egypt).
Carlos described it as blogging on crack when I asked him what it was.
Say whatever is on your mind in 140 characters or less. It is addicting!
And right now it is down and I am going through withdrawals.
I admit it. I have issues!
Monday, November 17, 2008
Every Sunday I get to work with and serve side by side some amazing people. I absolutely love my job.
But every once in a while, I get to do something that is unforgettable. Yesterday was one of those days. Get the hanky.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Heather is my shortest friend...
Saturday, November 15, 2008
New Message Bumper
This week I am using a piece from Floodgate Productions as our bumper with a cheesy little tag I added to the end.
Down and dirty! Enjoy...